[netatalk-admins] Shaded volumes in the vol. list

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Shaded volumes in the vol. list
From: Yann Bizeul (yann@collet.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 15:19:50 EST

Hi all,

I have got a little problem, I have some directories shared as appletalk
volume, on a server with a dozen of users.
All these users not have the same privileges for each volume, so I want
that users u1 to u6, for examples, of group g1 to have access to sharing
s1 (An appleshare volume), and for users u7 to u12 from group g2, another
volume, say s2...
Actually, if s7 connect to the server, He see both s1 and s2 in the volume
list, If he choose s1 (yes, it can, the share is not dimmed, that is the
problem) I got an appletalk error, and if he choose s2, I have access
rights, and can log on and do whatever he wants. But it is not clean, I
want users from group g2 to see the s1 volume dimmed in the volumes list
while connecting to the server. The sharing privileges for both s1 and s2
are these :

drwxrwx--- xx root g1 xxx Feb 24 14:54 s1
drwxrwx--- xx root g2 xxx Feb 24 15:55 s2

I got a dimmed share if I make this, and connect as guest :

drwxrwx--- xx nobody nobody xxx Feb 24 14:54 s1
drwxrwx--- xx root g2 xxx Feb 24 14:55 s2

In this case, s2 (not s1) is dimmed for guests...

I do not understand at all, what is determining why a share will be dimmed
or not...

Thanks !