[netatalk-admins] nbprgstr to a different zone?

Subject: [netatalk-admins] nbprgstr to a different zone?
From: Mark (bergman@bups.bilkent.edu.tr)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 08:48:08 EST

I'm trying to setup a Linux server (2.0.35) with netatalk (1.4b2)
as a multi-protocol print server, allowing Macs to print to printers
on a Windows95/NT network via Samba and PCs to print to the AppleTalk
printers. I've got 5 AppleTalk zones, each with AppleTalk printers,
some with SMB printers.

I'm trying to make a SMB printer available to Macs, and I want it to
appear in the proper zone. The printer is physically located in the
building known via the AppleTalk zone name "97 Building", however the
Linux server is in the "Computer Center" zone. I can register a new device
in the Linux server's current zone without difficulty, but when I try:

        nbprgstr TestPrinter:LaserWriter@"97 Building"
I get:
        nbp_rgstr: Success
        Can't register TestPrinter:LaserWriter@97 Building

and nbplkup doesn't show an entry for TestPrinter in the "97 Building"
zone.

Any suggestions?

I know it's not supposed to be allowed, but has anyone tried putting networks
into multiple zones? I'd love a "zone" named printers that spanned our 5
existing zones, and a similar "zone" for campus-wide broadcast messages. I
really don't want to collapse our network into a single zone.

--
Mark Bergman    		bergman@bups.bilkent.edu.tr
Computer Coordinator		90-312-266-4961 x141