Re: [netatalk-admins] nbprgstr to a different zone?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] nbprgstr to a different zone?
From: wesley.craig@umich.edu
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 10:24:04 EST

> From: Mark <bergman@bups.bilkent.edu.tr>
> To: netatalk-admins@umich.edu

> The printer is physically located in the
> building known via the AppleTalk zone name "97 Building", however the
> Linux server is in the "Computer Center" zone. I can register a new device
> in the Linux server's current zone without difficulty, but when I try:
>
> nbprgstr TestPrinter:LaserWriter@"97 Building"
> I get:
> nbp_rgstr: Success
> Can't register TestPrinter:LaserWriter@97 Building
>
> and nbplkup doesn't show an entry for TestPrinter in the "97 Building"
> zone.

To cause papd to register in the non-default zone, put the full name in
the papd.conf, including the zone. nbprgstr doesn't work for another
reason, see below.

> I know it's not supposed to be allowed, but has anyone tried putting networks
> into multiple zones? I'd love a "zone" named printers that spanned our 5
> existing zones, and a similar "zone" for campus-wide broadcast messages. I
> really don't want to collapse our network into a single zone.

That's a fine idea, perfectly allowed. In fact, the error you're
getting above is probably due to the fact that "97 Building" is not
local to your Linux server. Examine the output of "getzones -l".

:wes