Re: [netatalk-admins] Server disconnecting itself

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Server disconnecting itself
From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber (spammail@quanta.paypc.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 03:51:23 EST

Tim Carlson said in Re: [netatalk-admins] Server disconnecting itself at
04/Mar/1999 (Thu) 09:10:52.

> This may be unrelated, but recentlty, my netatalk 2.something server
> started dropping connections about every 5 minutes. Turns out that this
> machines (which is also my NTP master) was switching the time back and
> forth by an order of 4 minutes due to the fact that one of the higher
> stratum NTP machines was sending out a bogus time.
>
> Turning NTP off (or at least taking the bogus host out of the server list)
> fixed the problem.
>
> So this may be unrelated, but clock shifts do make for a not so stable
> Netatalk server.

UM, discontinuities in time do not make for a stable anything server. Lots
of code uses "delta" timings for timeouts and interval code. NTP normally
uses the adjtime() kernel service to smoothly adjust the time, rather than
whack the new time value. I'd guarantee that netatalk wouldn't be the only
service to have problems with the time-warps happening. I imagine the
time-warps were causing netatalk to miss a tickle interval, causing the
macintosh to assume the other end died.

I'm shocked that NTP would "trust" a bad host like that, or at least, not put
up a nasty little log entry about it.

=R=