Re: [netatalk-admins] following links with Netatalk

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] following links with Netatalk
From: Benjamin Gilbert (i479@prism.simplenet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 17:44:24 EST

At 3/10/99 12:52 PM, Matthew Temple (manager@hhmiw3.med.harvard.edu)
wrote:

>We set up a computer for storing images. Users have a /home/<username>
>directory and each user has a directory on a large partition on another
>drive, say /mnt/ext/<username>. In each home directory, I created a
>link to the directory on the large partition.
>
>When a user connects via Netatalk, the directories look fine and MOST
>files can be added or deleted with no trouble, however Photoshop files,
>once placed onto the large directory (presumably the link is dereferenced)
>cannot be deleted and give an "error -50" response when you try.

We have a similar setup and Photoshop doesn't have a problem with it.
The setup is: RH Linux 5.1, kernel 2.0.36, asun 2.1.1. Users'
.AppleVolumes files contain only a reference to ~/launchpoint, and every
user has a launchpoint directory which contains symlinks to other
directories on another partition. No problems, even with Photoshop
(version 5).

FWIW, Mac error -50 is "Error in user parameter list", which doesn't
really say much.

--Benjamin Gilbert