Re: [netatalk-admins] Network Trash Folder

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Network Trash Folder
From: Michael Han (mikehan@best.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 01:41:00 EST

Previously...
>Hmm, I have the opposite problem. Network Trash won't work. Anything
>placed in the Mac's trash has to be deleted immediately. I see that
>there is a Network Trash Folder in my home directory (with 707 perms, me
>user and group) with multiple Trash Cans in it--with all of the files
>that I thought had been trashed.

Hrmm, it's been a while since this was fully hashed out, but I seem to
recall that disabled byte-locking is the spoilsport. There's a "Trash
Can Usage Map" (?) or somesuch hiding in the "Network Trash Folder"
and it tracks what AFP user is using what "Trash Can #N" subfolder for
trash. By not being able to byte-lock this file, only the first Trash
user gets a normal Trash and subsequent users are Trash-less.

There's also an unrelated problem, I believe, with the default mode
(707) the Mac creates the "Network Trash Folder" with, and that it
attempts to set the Group to "none", which is GID 0 in AFP...
Naturally, GID 0 isn't unowned on Unix filesystems. Hence a "Network
Trash Folder", when created by an AFP client, tends to be mode 707,
owned by that user, group owned by the user's gid. This can be a
problem if all your users are in the same group, as would be the
case in a RedHat install (all in "users"), since mode 707 group users
is locked out for anyone in the users group...

The permissions/gid problem you can finesse. Or at least you can hack
around it. The other problem's trickier. There's a gruesome hack
reported here (was it Bob at h-e.com? sorry, forget your surname) that
fixes the other problem. In it, you pre-create "Trash Can #N"
subfolders, mode 700, one per user owned by that user... Ick. But it
does work. Or did about 10 months ago when I first saw this problem
reported.

Anyone know if my info's dated? I haven't been keeping up with the
netatalk sources for a couple months, so I don't know what's been
happening, unless it's been in one of asun's announcements.

--
mikehan@best.com
I will not pledge allegiance to Bart