Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk, samba, ...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk, samba, ...
From: Eddie Irvine (eirvine@tpgi.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 23:41:03 EST

> i'm just planning a heterogenous network with mac win and unix machines
> (all in all about 30 computers). to easen backup tasks and lower the costs
> i think about a central fileserver. linux with samba and netatalk should
> do that, but as i heard there ar some problems with this solution ??

There are two problems, as I understand it:

1) Fred saves a file from his Mac. He then goes to and IBM and deletes
it.
   He then goes back to his mac, and can *see* the icon for that file,
but
   when he tries to open it, he gets a "file not found" error. But, he
can't
   get rid of the icon, either.

2) Fred on a Mac and Mary on a PC have the same filemaker database open.
   In this situation, I don't think record locking works that well.

If you don't plan to do a lot of database work between apps, and you can
educate users to delete files made by a mac, with a mac, then I think it
works fine.

I have a Mac/Win 95 environment about three times the size and mostly it
seems
OK, and a lot more stable that MacIP 6. I use FreeBSD 3.1 but Linux
should be
OK too (well, almost!).

Eddie.