Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk, samba, ...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk, samba, ...
From: Jim Zajkowski (jamesez@umich.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 20:27:10 EST

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Eddie Irvine wrote:

} 2) Fred on a Mac and Mary on a PC have the same filemaker database open.
} In this situation, I don't think record locking works that well.

I think "it depends," based on how FileMaker notes what records are
locked. The file won't be locked by the host OS since, well, what would
be the point of having a DB that couldn't be shared?

If you're bent on FileMaker, you should consider the FM Server thing. It
supports record-level locking and handles concurrency better than a
shared-file database. That goes for Access, too: you should get a real
SQL server instead.

Jim