[netatalk-admins] Sherlock/netatalk/HFS+

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Sherlock/netatalk/HFS+
From: Harry Zink (netatalk@fizbin.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 12:52:26 EST

Sherlock:

> so i'm
> not sure if it's actually netatalk's fault.

I don't particularly think that the fault lies with *ANYONE* in this
regard, but rather the trick would be to find out what Sherlock does (or
rather, looks for), to make it work.

Bear in mind, Win NT works fine with Sherlock.

I'm tempted to theorize that Sherlock looks for something, that netatalk
doesn't provide, or doesn't provide the way Sherlock wants it - and it's
most likely related to Sherlock depending on index files to do its work.

How does Sherlock generate index files, and what parts of the Apple File
System does Sherlock use in order to create the index links? (mind you,
if 'finds' the files just fine, it just can't link back to them, that's
the problem. Furthermore, it *CAN* link back to DIRECTORIES that it
found, just not files.

The biggest piece of suck about Sherlock right now is that it doesn't let
you create index' for remote volumes (Apparently ASIP 6.1 does that
independently on the server), but I guess Apple needs some kind of
competitive edge.. :-)

HFS+:

I read that adrian has taken over development/maintenance of the HFS file
system module from whoever was working on it before. That's great news,
but even greater news is that Apple opened up some of their source to
MacOS X (notably the part that contains HFS and HFS+ code), so this could
be beneficial for the HFS project as well.

http://www.macintouch.com/

--> "[Jonathan Hendry] "HFS Plus is definitely there. This is from the
'hfs' project. Other files in the project deal with Unicode and Japanese,
which NeXT's old regular HFS implementation never handled.... "

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/

Harry