Re: [netatalk-admins] Problems with sherlock searching netatalk

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Problems with sherlock searching netatalk
From: a sun (asun@saul3.u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 10:43:11 EST

   I'm pretty certain that I know why Sherlock doesn't work. I believe that
   Sherlock index files for full text searches (and possibly how it tracks
   "found" files) is done via file IDs. If you think about it, that makes
   sense, because using file IDs would keep index files much smaller.

i have two comments here:
  1) sherlock doesn't use index files for find file searches. in fact,
     you can't create text search index files right now. as i don't
     have the sherlock find content db specs, i can't implement things
     in afpd to create them either. in the future, i believe that
     sherlock will be able to create index files on the server. in
     that situation, of course, whoever created the file has the
     rights to change it.

  2) let's just say that your "certainty" is misplaced. one of the
     reasons why i added persistent did support was to see if it would
     fix the sherlock problem. it doesn't. all it does is turn up
     another problem which is most likely the underlying problem
     causing sherlock to fail. actually, it turned out that all i
     really had to do was pretend to add persistent dids to really
     test things out.

hmm. i did just have a thought. it may be that sherlock is incorrectly
making some assumptions about the order the cnid's should follow. i'll
go fiddle a little to see if that's it.

-a