Re: [netatalk-admins] installation question: Solaris 7

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] installation question: Solaris 7
From: John Browning (jb@poplar.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 07:39:43 EST

On 18.3.99 at 16:32, David S. <davids@fruitfly.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Well I can report that 'pre-asun2.1.4-2.tar.gz' compiled with the demo
> version of Sun's WorkShop 5.0 C compiler works fine under a 64 bit
> Solaris 7 kernel on a Sun Ultra 5.

Looks like there's a compiler problem, because pre-asun2.1.4-4.tar.gz doesn't attach on the same OS/kernel/machine when compiled with gcc 2.8.1. Which leaves a quandry. While I reckon I could compile with the demo, I hate to install something that I can no longer maintain after 30 days -- and unless Sun starts giving away free compilers for a fairly liberal version of "non-commercial use" the odds of us getting a real Sun compiler are close to NULL. So either

* try to use CAP until gcc does better 64-bit code or

* see if somebody with a Sun compiler wants to distribute binaries on a continuing basis

* switch to a 32-bit kernel

The first option looks best to me now, I must admit -- even though netatalk seems like the technological right thing. And it has such a wonderfully helpful mailing list. Many thanks again to everybody that responded so quickly and intelligently to my query...

John Browning ||| 71 Richmond Ave ||| London N1 0LX
t + 44 171 700 1230 ||| f + 44 171 700 5255