Re: [netatalk-admins] Font Downloading

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Font Downloading
From: Albert Max Lai (amlai@columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 19:51:44 EST

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Les Barstow wrote:

> Does Netatalk have the ability to accept Font downloads, assuming the
> backend

Yes it does. It seems that they are just embedded into the middle of the
postscript. We are running an asun variety of netatalk on a bunch of
machines, and I've managed to print a document with well over 60 random
fonts that were not on the destination printer. (We were doing this as a
test to see what fonts we could support in our facilities). You have to be
careful that the driver that you are using does support font downloading
correctly though. We had a problem with an old laserwriter driver, so we
switched to an HP Laserjet driver, which ended up breaking when we
upgraded to MacOS 8.5.1. The LaserWriter 8.6 driver works as far as we can
tell though. (We hate the desktop printers though.)

--
Albert Lai <amlai@columbia.edu>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.