[netatalk-admins] Password Encryption

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Password Encryption
From: The Wolf (thewolf@thewolfden.net)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 19:55:56 EST

Hi all,

I've looked through the archives and seen many questions, and very few
answers regarding actually making password encryption work with netatalk. I
must say, I'm a bit stumped. I've installed netatalk 1.4b2+asun-2.1.0 on
FreeBSD 3.1 and it works great .
The only problem is authentication. The only way I can get my clients to
connect is via clear text. All clients are running Mac OS 8.5.1. If I try
to force some other kind of authentication by turning off clear text, the
client reports that the authentication required by the server is not
supported, and to check the "Appleshare Folder" in the system folder and
try again.
Quite frustrating, really. The user has a ~/.passwd file and the perms are
set to 600. PAM support, DES support, were all compiled in, with no hiccups.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Sean.

"Unix is not a "A-ha" experience, it is more of a "holy-shit" experience."
- Colin McFadyen in alt.folklore.computers