Re: [netatalk-admins] permissions/ copying issue

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] permissions/ copying issue
From: a sun (asun@saul5.u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 21:54:13 EST

   desktop, I get a message of "The Item "filename" can nnot be read because
   it is already in use. Do you want to continue? <stop> <<continue>>" The
   permissions on the files are the same as before:

well, does someone already have that file open with deny read access?
afpd in pre-asun2.1.4 is now much more compliant with the AFP spec in
how it handles file synchronization locks. if you open a file and deny
others read access (i.e., you've opened a document in word), afpd will
note that and prevent you from opening it again for read access. the
finder can't copy that file as a result. NOTE: there are many cases
where you would think that read access would still be allowed. it
turns out that a lot of programs will deny others read access even
though they don't really need to do so.

also, when trying out development snapshots that i've made available,
please don't use the mailing list. it tends to confuse
people. instead, just send me an email, and i'll deal with
it. actually, if we had a netatalk-development mailing list, things
would work out better. in addition, please note that you're using
"pre-asunW.X.Y.-Z" and not "netatalk-1.4b2+asunX.Y.Z" as you aren't using
the released version.

-a