Re: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer
From: Carl Olsen (colsen@keysoft.com.au)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 07:41:41 EDT

On 6/4/99 17:12 fred orispaa wrote:

>connects and starts up transfers, but will transfer about a meg, then pause
>for
>a minute or two, transfer another meg, pause, etc, until around 5 megs when
>it
>just times out.

I had a problem with my powerbook like this ever since I got it. It would
transfer 768K then pause for a while the start again and eventually
timeout. 768K is the buffer size in open transport and if you adjust this
buffer size the the amount transferred before the pause changes
accordingly. We also had a 7200 desktop and a 3400 powerbook which had
the same problem.

The only fix I have found is to use a D-Link hub which was the brand
recommended by Apple support when I reported the problem.

I have tried with multiple brands of hubs including planet, netgear,
acton, HP, 3Com and D-link. We have two netgear hubs one works at 100KB/s
while the other runs at about 10KB/s. The D-Link runs at 900KB/s.

Regards

Carl

| CARL OLSEN Email: colsen@keysoft.com.au |
| Key Software Pty. Ltd. Phone: +61-2-9314-5812 |
| Database & Network Consultants Fax: +61-2-9398-4294 |