[netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Solaris 7...

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Solaris 7...
From: Ari Berman (aberman@pundit.icmb.utexas.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 17:44:27 EDT

I can't for the life of me get netatalk 1.4b2+asun 2.1.3 to compile on my
Solaris 7 server. Compiler errors state that they can't find the following
files:

tcpd.h and des.h

When I try to include them in my path, the compiler moves past tcpd.h but
gives a whole slew of errors for auth.c and the definitions called from
des.h. So, when I make clean and then comment out TCPWrapper support, Des
support and PAM support, I get the real compile. Then, make kinstall
installs the ddp driver but returns the following message:

/usr/ucb/install -c ddp /usr/kernel/drv/ddp
ln /usr/kernel/drv/ddp /usr/kernel/strmod/ddp
/usr/ucb/install -c ddp.conf /usr/kernel/drv/ddp.conf
add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp
drvconfig: Driver (ddp) failed to attach
Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'
Current working directory
/export/home/aberman/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/solaris
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'

So, I ignore this message thinking it is just some weird Solaris error.
Then I configure atalkd.conf with the following line:

hme0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.130

Then I create /etc/rc2.d/S79atalk from scratch based with the correct
directories.

then I try to start the appletalk daemons and get the following message:

root@intron:[4:41pm]:/etc/rc2.d # ./S79atalk start
starting appletalk daemons: can't establish STREAMS plumbing, exiting.
 atalkd nbprgstr papd afpd.

At this point, the processes are active, but they are not operational. Ok,
so I need help big time. I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid. So,
anyone who has gotten this to work on Solaris 7, or has an idea of what I
doing wrong, please help!! I'll mail you a beer, I promise.

Please respond to aberman@pundit.icmb.utexas.edu

Thanks.

--Ari