Re: [netatalk-admins] Information on other authentications

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Information on other authentications
From: Michael Han (mikehan@best.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 02:27:40 EDT

Previously...
>I am running Netatalk on my Linux box (RedHat 5.1). I am also running a
>Kerberos server (for secure telnet sessions) as well. Kerberos would be
>preferable, but I'm not sure how well the Umich Kerberos authentication UAM
>will work with MacLeland, the Kerberos client we use at Stanford. Any
>suggestions here would be welcome.

Mmm, Umich's kerberos UAM currently doesn't support AFP on TCP, so if
you were hoping to get snappy AFP on TCP performance, you can't
kerberize your afpd. This is actually caused by the AppleShare Client
on the Mac having a different interface for third-party UAMs.
Documentation for this interface was pretty slow about getting
available... I hear the UAM is being reworked to support new nifty
things like kerberized afpd's on TCP.

--
mikehan@best.com
I did not see Elvis