Re: [netatalk-admins] Massive dropped connections - any ideas?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Massive dropped connections - any ideas?
From: Christof Warlich (cwarlich@netzland.net)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 16:32:08 EDT

Hi Kevin,

I really appreciated reading your posting, because it at least gave me
hope
back that I´m not the only one in the world having exactely the same
problem.
It´s just 2 weeks ago when I posted this to netatalk-admins@umich.edu:

Christof Warlich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I´ve recently upgraded my aged netatalk1.4b2 installation to
> netatalk1.4b2+asun2.13,
> and data transfer rates became fantastic compared to the old
> installation.
> But unfortunately, every some 10 minutes the Macs are loosing the
> connection
> to the server, which is a Linux box with a 3COM590 and kernel 2.036.
> Anyone out
> there who had the same problem and found a solution?
>
> Just because I´ve started to ask: I already tried to subscribe to the
> LINUX-ATALK
> list several times by sending a mail to listserv@netspace.org with no
> subject and a
> body which reads "SUBSCRIBE LINUX-ATALK", but I never got any response.
> What´s wrong?
>
> Thanks for any help, especially on the first problem.
>
> Christof

I got the following two responses (Thanks for the help, Jonathan and
Brad):

Brad Cox wrote:
> Deleting any mac-style aliases on the mounted volume worked for me.
>
> Use unix ln -s instead.
>
> ---
> Dr. Brad Cox bcox@virtualschool.edu (update your address book)
> Phone: 703 361 4751 Fax: 703 995 0422 Cellular: 703 919-9623
> http://virtualschool.edu/mon A Project with Paradoxical Goals
> PGP Signature: E194 C6E5 92D8 B8FB 20E8 8667 929A 95A0 FCB6 7C62

I´m currently planning to give Jonathans suggestion a try, though I will
need another two month to really do it, because the machine in question
is at the printing office of my brother, 500km away from my home, and it
will take that long to be able to visit him again. Anyway, I´ll give a
report
on whatever I´ll experience then, at this list and to your email
address.
If you get any new information, please let me know.

Concerning the second part of my posting: You apparently have subsribed
to LINUX-ATALK, do you know why I can´t?

in thr hope that we get the porblem fixed,

Christof