RE: [netatalk-admins] Information on other authentications

Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] Information on other authentications
From: Alex Yu (ayu1@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 22:40:29 EDT

> Count me out. I consider it my responsibility to keep my
> as possible, and prefer basing my system around that goal, rather than

well... this is the way i look in this problem. if there is always a chance
that ppl will sniff your network, and you have to run a ftp server without
any auth, such as ssl or skey due to lack of multi-platforms ftp
applications that supports skey/ssl/sftp, then what's the point to use 2-way
encryption in netatalk?

maybe you say that people should be smart enough to use 2 seperate
passwords, but guess what, they don't. no ppl like to remember 2 or more
complex passwords. this is just how it goes. what happen if you force your
boss to remember 2 seperate passwords?

i don't really like to have a cleartext password idea... i mean, system
administrator or IT professionals shouldn't do such thing. if you are
talking about to admin a 100+ employees company.... just be careful that
people might sue you because you take away their privacy.

alex