Re: [netatalk-admins] Information on other authentications

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Information on other authentications
From: Everette Allen (ega@uni01map.unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 22 1999 - 11:32:31 EDT

Nice try wes but no cookie. I have tried many times to get authman uam
to work with MacLeland.
It will not. When andy maas wrote macleland he used parts of Authman as
a template (and some libs) but he redid most of it to fit the Stanford
"athena" model (ie hesiod support, etc). Since authman, kclient, and
macleland do not appear to cache V4 tickets in a compatible way they
won't work (at lease for me in a mixed MIT/AFS environment). One could
run netatalk 1.3.3 on RedHat and use macleland native but there is no
ASIP support and several bugs fixed in 1.4bx of netatalk.
Just as Wes is working to release new uam for authman, we here at NC
State have been working on a version of a uam which will work with
KClient API from MIT and with Stanford's 1.3.3 patches and asun's AFP
over TCP/IP patches. This could work with KClientLeland (and KClientMan
too)except it needs an update to latest KClient api(the keeper is Simon
Andersson at Stanford). Look for this with its source code to go public
domain some time early June 1999. We have tested on linux ppc and i386
but solaris 2.6 is our target deployment.

--
Everette Gray Allen                               Consultant IV
Box 7109 NCState Campus                     Computing Services