Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp
From: Sak Wathanasin (sw@nan.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 19:29:28 EDT

> These days, the Linux kernel supports the ipddp protocol, and the
> MacGate package by Jay Schulist is supposed to handle what is called
> "AppleTalk IP Decapsulation", i.e. allowing an AppleTalk-based client
> such as my Duo to use IP over the IPDDP transport layer.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't get it to work, probably because I don't
> understand it well enough.

I have a similar setup here only I use a Webster Multigate to do the IP-in-DDP
en/de-capsulation for my PB170 (like your DUo, it's LocalTalk only), and before
I had the Webster MG, I also set up someting similar using IPNetRouter on a
Mac. What I had to do there was to create a 2nd logical i/f over the ethernet
i/f so that I could route pkts back to the IPDDP side. You may have to do
something similar on your Linux box: split your network into 2 (or more
subnets) and put the Duo on one, and the Linux box on both (using IP aliasing)
and set up a static route between the two sub-nets. Am I making sense? Anyway
e-mail me if you want more info, as it's off-topic for this list.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: sw@nan.co.uk
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996 Fax: (+44) 1203 690690