Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp
From: Stefan Bethke (stefan.bethke@hanse.de)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 07:22:49 EDT

Mike Holling <myke@ees.com> wrote:

>> These days, the Linux kernel supports the ipddp protocol, and the
>> MacGate package by Jay Schulist is supposed to handle what is called
>> "AppleTalk IP Decapsulation", i.e. allowing an AppleTalk-based client
>> such as my Duo to use IP over the IPDDP transport layer.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I can't get it to work, probably because I don't
>> understand it well enough.
>
> Don't know about Linux, but I have a similar setup here. I'm using an
> SE/30 to bridge LocalTalk and EtherTalk, and a program called "macipgw" to
> do MacIP en/decapsulation. Now my old SE's on localtalk can
> telnet out to the Internet. "macipgw" runs on FreeBSD, and was easy to
> set up.

..but only works on *BSD, not Linux.

MacIP (or, as it is sometimes called, IPDDP or KIP) works basically by
ecapsulating the IP paket in a DDP packet of type 22. Additionally, there
is some ARP-type operation to determine the AppleTalk address for some IP
address. It works by looking up the NBP entry for "192.168.0.1:IPADDRESS"
or ":IPGATEWAY".

Additionally, a gateway can offer dynamic address assignment. This is
implemented trough three simple ATP requests on the same socket.

I don't know about Linux' functionality, so I can't comment on your
specific problem.

Stefan

--
Mühlendamm 12           |  Voice +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009
D-22089 Hamburg         |  e-mail: stefan.bethke@hanse.de