[netatalk-admins] problem 'routing' AppleTalk zones

Subject: [netatalk-admins] problem 'routing' AppleTalk zones
From: George Shapiro (gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 08:49:48 EDT

Here is the problem:

 I am trying to seed a bunch of macs on one ethernet wire and place them
in a 'zone' with the ultimate end being file and print sharing...

Here is the setup:

I am running Netatalk 1.4b2 + asun.. with the 2.0.36 kernel. The linux
box is connected to one (that's right, one)
mac through one ethernet interface. So, there are no other 'routers'
seeding this mac.

This is a test setup for when I will be connecting multiple macs in a
large public high school. The reason i want to have 'zones' is that
there are several logical groupings of macs within the network that
need to be kept seperate in the chooser.

Here is where I need help:

I am using in atalk.conf, eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 10 -addr 10.1
-zone "test".

When I restart the mac (and/or boot) atalk.conf gets rewritten to

                                            eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65384
-addr 65280...

and the mac tells me that no zones are available and no router is
available. However, the linux-box does appear in AppleShare and
file-sharing is working fine.

I have been looking through the archives of this list and "linux-atalk"
and this seems to be a frequent problem. It strikes me that I have
somehow not set things up correctly. However the responses seem to have
be "it isn't possible to 'route' a zone with one interface", "there must
be another router", "why do you want a zone anyway if file sharing is
working", or "try eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net xx -addr xx.x -zone "xxx" ."
Anyone want to have a go at this one again?

Thanks,

gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us
(tech coorditaire!)
Grant High School