Re: [netatalk-admins] problem 'routing' AppleTalk zones

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] problem 'routing' AppleTalk zones
From: Stefan Bethke (stefan.bethke@hanse.de)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 10:44:47 EDT

George Shapiro <gshapiro@pps.k12.or.us> wrote:

> Here is the problem:
>
> I am trying to seed a bunch of macs on one ethernet wire and place them
> in a 'zone' with the ultimate end being file and print sharing...
[...]
> I have been looking through the archives of this list and "linux-atalk"
> and this seems to be a frequent problem. It strikes me that I have
> somehow not set things up correctly. However the responses seem to have
> be "it isn't possible to 'route' a zone with one interface", "there must
> be another router", "why do you want a zone anyway if file sharing is
> working", or "try eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net xx -addr xx.x -zone "xxx" ."
> Anyone want to have a go at this one again?

To have zones, you'll need a router. To have an AppleTalk router, you'll
need at least two networks. Period.

What you can do is configure a dummy interface and let netatalk "route"
between the real and the dummy interface. It doesn't matter that there's
no other system connected to the dummy net -- all what is needed is another
network.

Also, this allows you to properly test the setup before
installating/connecting to the campus network. You most definitly will
want to make sure that you do things right when connecting, or a bunch of
people will get quite upset, I guess.

If you haven't done so yet, you might want to take a look at my netatalk
routing setup tutorial at http://www.transit.hanse.de/netatalk/router.html

Stefan

--
Mühlendamm 12           |  Voice +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009
D-22089 Hamburg         |  e-mail: stefan.bethke@hanse.de