[netatalk-admins] Macs can't see FreeBSD 3.1/asun 2.1.3

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Macs can't see FreeBSD 3.1/asun 2.1.3
From: Douglas E. Wegscheid (wegscd@whirlpool.com)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 08:47:03 EDT

I just upgraded to FreeBSD 3.1 from 2.2.5, and installed the
netatalk1.4b2-asun2.1.0 package. It installed fine, seems to come up, but
neither of my Macs can see the FreeBSD box in the chooser, and running
nbptool on the Mac also does not show the FreeBSD box. When I go to the
FreeBSD box and do a nbplkup, I can see the names of all my Mac, and the
FreeBSD box.

This is an isolated LAN, MacOS 7.5.3 and 7.5.5, classic Appletalk (not IP
or OpenTransport).

I have identical problems with a precompiled asun 2.1.3 (with wrapper), a
2.1.3 I compiled myself (no tcp wrapper), and a 2.1.4 pre11 I compiled
myself (no tcp wrapper).

I took the asun 2.1.3 source kit over to my Mac iici running NetBSD 1.3.2,
built it without tcp wrapper again, and my Macs can see it! nbpklup doesn't
run there, but the chooser and nbptool show the IIci (running BSD), so I am
confident that I have a good source kit and that I am configuring things
correctly.

I have seen references to needed patches for FreeBSD 3, but it appears that
they are in asun 2.1.3.

Does anyone have any leads on solving this problem? I'm sure I'm not the
first one to see it, but I've come up dry on dejanews, freebsd.org, and
altavista (well, _too_ many hits there...)
-
Douglas E. Wegscheid
working for, but not expressing the position of, Whirlpool Corporation
wegscd@whirlpool.com
-
A wrong note played hesitatingly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with
conviction is interpretation.