Re: [netatalk-admins] Macs can't see FreeBSD 3.1/asun 2.1.3

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Macs can't see FreeBSD 3.1/asun 2.1.3
From: Glenn Johnson (gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 10:42:40 EDT

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 08:47:03AM -0400, Douglas E. Wegscheid wrote:

> I just upgraded to FreeBSD 3.1 from 2.2.5, and installed the
> netatalk1.4b2-asun2.1.0 package. It installed fine, seems to come up,
> but neither of my Macs can see the FreeBSD box in the chooser, and
> running nbptool on the Mac also does not show the FreeBSD box. When I
> go to the FreeBSD box and do a nbplkup, I can see the names of all my
> Mac, and the FreeBSD box.
>
> This is an isolated LAN, MacOS 7.5.3 and 7.5.5, classic Appletalk (not
> IP or OpenTransport).
>
> I have identical problems with a precompiled asun 2.1.3 (with
> wrapper), a 2.1.3 I compiled myself (no tcp wrapper), and a 2.1.4
> pre11 I compiled myself (no tcp wrapper).
>
> I took the asun 2.1.3 source kit over to my Mac iici running NetBSD
> 1.3.2, built it without tcp wrapper again, and my Macs can see it!
> nbpklup doesn't run there, but the chooser and nbptool show the IIci
> (running BSD), so I am confident that I have a good source kit and
> that I am configuring things correctly.
>
> I have seen references to needed patches for FreeBSD 3, but it appears
> that they are in asun 2.1.3.
>
> Does anyone have any leads on solving this problem? I'm sure I'm
> not the first one to see it, but I've come up dry on dejanews,
> freebsd.org, and altavista (well, _too_ many hits there...)
> -
> Douglas E. Wegscheid
Did you try installing the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 port from the
FreeBSD ports collection? I would guess that there is also a package
of this. Make sure your ports tree is up to date and check it
out. There are 16 patches in the FreeBSD ports 'patches' directory for
netatalk-asun, some of them to source code files.

If you try building netatalk on FreeBSD without at least looking at
these patches I could understand why it might not work. Of course I
would recommend just installing the port. If you have already done this
then, well I don't know. I do know that netatalk-asun installed from the
port worked fine for me on both FreeBSD 3.0 and FreeBSD 3.1.

Hope this helps.

--
Glenn Johnson
Technician