[netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 and TCP/IP

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 and TCP/IP
From: Stuart Anderson (Stuart.Anderson@educ.edin.gov.uk)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 12:48:58 EDT

On the subject of Solaris 2.7,

I've to build and install a packages server for our schools network. (we
have
160 schools connected round the city on a private cable modem network)

I want to run ftp/http/smb and appletalk-IP. It will be either a spare Sun
box or
PC server running Solaris/X86 with some external disks. (We're mostly NT
based, but
I'd prefer a UNIX solution)

Do I need to run the kernel modules given I only want to do Appletalk IP?
The box
will sit on its own cable modem so I'd rather not run appletalk on it - all
the
schools only route IP. (And I'm one of these people who doesn't like running
services
that aren't being used)

Any advice appreciated,

Stuart

Stuart Anderson
ICT Network & Communications Manager
Education Dept, City of Edinburgh Council, Scotland