Re: [netatalk-admins] Broken files

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Broken files
From: Ephraim Franzzup (franzzup@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 19:16:03 EDT

>I am running netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on a SuSE 6.0 Linux System
>running the 2.2.3 kernel.

>Only one application is running into probs with the server, Macromedia
>Freehand.
>Freehand can open existing fh8 files (native Freehand files) but when
>these are (re)written to the server they get broken.

I think this is a known issue. FreeHand is creating the files as type 'TEXT'
and then writing the data, only later does it set the final file type.

Therefore, if you have linefeed translation enabled for text files, it will
break your FreeHand saves. When you save to a local disk and then copy in
the Finder, the file type has already been set to the native FreeHand type,
so CRLF translation is not triggered.

If you just globally disable linefeed translation, you should be fine. To do
this at compile time, AFAIK the procedure is to comment out the -DCRLF flag
from the Makefile for afpd.

Good luck!
Chris Ferebee
cf at ferebee dot net