Re: [netatalk-admins] Problems w/ FreeBSD 3.1 as seeding router?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Problems w/ FreeBSD 3.1 as seeding router?
From: Glenn Johnson (gljohns@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 12:21:04 EDT

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 08:38:10AM -0400, Douglas E. Wegscheid wrote:

> I am still trying to get the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (current package
> downloaded from freebsd.org) running on FreeBSD-3.1 RELEASE, with no
> success. problem is the FreeBSD box does not show up in Choosers or
> in nbptool. Macs and FreeBSd show up on FreeBSD box when you do a
> nbplkup.
Did you try building from the port rather than install the package? It
should not make a difference but sometimes a package built on one
machine does not work properley on another machine due to differences
in the environment. It is rare but I have experienced that for other
programs.

> questions:
>
> 1) I am on an isolated LAN (no existing routers), running classic
> Appletalk on the Macs (no OT, no IP). anyway, I think the kernel is ...
                                ^^^^^
I must have missed this bit of info in your previous mail. My setup had
IP on the Mac using MacTCP. I think if you are running Appletalk only
then you need something to bridge the Appletalk protocol to IP. Someone
more knowledgable than me will have to address this.

> with the sniffer when netatalk comes up where it looks for other
> routers, and I can see the exchange between the FreeBSD box and the
> Macs when I do a nbplkup. Glenn Johnson (and anyone else), you said
> you had success running this setup, do you have other routers? Can you
> share your atalkd.conf? I am ...

I did not have any routers. I used the default atalkd.conf. The Mac is
currently tucked away in a closet but maybe I can pull it out and try to
set it up again.

> starting to suspect this is a bug that has gone undetected because
> everyone else's FreeBSD boxes are talking to existing routers, and
> I have none. I put a sniffer on the wire, and the FreeBSD box will
> originate lookups when you do a nbplkup, correctly read the responses
> from the wire and display them, but my FreeBSD box is not responding
> to lookups from the Macs at all...
>
> 2) Have I possibly overlooked something I need to do to my 7.5.3 and
> 7.5.5 Macs to get them to talk phase 2?

If it means anything I was using System 7.1 on the Mac. As I said
though, I had MacTCP set up.

--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net