[netatalk-admins] Re: Problems w/ FreeBSD 3.1 as seeding router?

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Problems w/ FreeBSD 3.1 as seeding router?
From: Douglas E. Wegscheid (wegscd@whirlpool.com)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 12:55:45 EDT

At 03:28 PM 5/7/1999 +0200, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>"Douglas E. Wegscheid" <wegscd@whirlpool.com> wrote:
>
>> 1) I am on an isolated LAN (no existing routers), running classic
>> Appletalk on the Macs (no OT, no IP). anyway, I think the kernel is OK; I
>> can see with the sniffer when netatalk comes up where it looks for other
>> routers, and I can see the exchange between the FreeBSD box and the Macs
>> when I do a nbplkup. Glenn Johnson (and anyone else), you said you had
>> success running this setup, do you have other routers? Can you share your
>> atalkd.conf?
>
>> I am starting to suspect this is a bug that has gone undetected because
>> everyone else's FreeBSD boxes are talking to existing routers, and I have
>> none.
>
>Most definitly not. I've run 2.2.8, 3.1 and -current in both router-less
>and networks with routers, and as far as I can tell, it works.

What does your atalkd.conf look like in a routerless environment? If I have
no other routers, do I need to put -router in atalkd.conf? Craig Summerhill
just told me about -router (and I see it furthur down in this note); it's
in the source, but I can't find any reference to it in any docs or FAQs (I
am a new subscriber to this list, I understand it has been discussed
recently, but I can't find a list archive for 1999).

would

le0 -router -phase 2 -net 100-100 -address 100.1 -zone Foobar

be right?

>> 2) Have I possibly overlooked something I need to do to my 7.5.3 and 7.5.5
>> Macs to get them to talk phase 2?
>
>No. Phase 1 is dead for quite some years now. AFAIR, 7.5 needs OT (or at
>least defaults to it), and OT doesn't do Phase 1.

7.5 still has the 'classic' Appletalk option. I need Appletalk; I have some
7.0.1 on some old boxes, and hope to use the LocalTalk bridge that Apple
has for download to get to Macipgw after I get atalkd configured
correctly... Cheap browsers.

>> 3) Blew away /usr/local/etc/atalkd.conf. Shut down. Turn every Mac in the
>> house off. Power up. Netatalk starts, comes up with address
>> 65280.something.
>
>That's correct if you don't have a router on the network.

Should it show up in the choosers then?

>> This looks suspicious to me, I thought that was 65280.* was reserved for
>> startup. Edit the atalkd.conf to read:
>>
>> le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 100-200 -addr 100.1 -zone foo
>>
>> Reboot the box. atalkd rewrites atalkd.conf as
>>
>> le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 0-65535 -addr 100.1
>>
>> (perhap -net 0-65536, but definitely not -net 100-200). Why is it ignoring
>> my -net and -zone? Am I misunderstanding what -seed should do?
>
>No, but a router needs to route somewhere. You'll either have to use the
>-router trick, or set up a (real or dummy) interface to route to. I
>believe disc can be used for that. Then, I've never tried, and it might
>well be that disc doesn't support AppleTalk. I'll try over the weekend.

what is 'disc'? I see that the atalkd does set up an interface the lo0,
does that suffice?
-
Douglas E. Wegscheid
working for, but not expressing the position of, Whirlpool Corporation
wegscd@whirlpool.com
-
A wrong note played hesitatingly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with
conviction is interpretation.