Re: [netatalk-admins] Error with Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI Adapter

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Error with Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI Adapter
From: Osma Ahvenlampi (oa-lists@spray.fi)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 12:33:09 EDT

Nitin Mule <nitin@pulsus.com> writes:
> I installed netatalk yesterday on a linux box (redhat 5.2) with the Intel
> EtherExpress Pro/100B NIC and within a few minutes started getting
> eth0: trasmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000
> eth0: trying to restart the transmitter.

It's a bug in the eepro100 driver. Put the line

options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

in your /etc/conf.modules. If you don't have the eepro100 driver
compiled as a module, I strongly suggest to do so. If you have some
overriding need to compile the driver into the kernel, figure out the
correct LILO append line or patch the driver..

> problem only after I screwed up my system and spend some time on Deja. Now
> I've uninstalled netatalk and rebooted the system. The warning messages
> have disappeared and I hope nothing is "currupted" in my system. I would

This problem does not corrupt anything (directly), it "only" causes
the driver to barf massive amounts of trash onto the local network
segment and disconnect the machine for a few seconds every minute or
so.

> appreciate if anyone would recommend a NIC that works well and also if
> there are any problems in running netatalk alongwith Samba on a linux server.

With the above workaround, eepro100 is a reliable NIC for even a
Netatalk server. As far as Samba compatibility goes, I would hazard to
guess that most Netatalk users also have Samba serving the same
volumes. There are some caveats, such as the .AppleDouble directories
("veto files = .AppleDouble" works for Samba) and different name
mangling methods for filenames that contain "special"
characters. Neither is a huge problem.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi