[netatalk-admins] Group permissions problem

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Group permissions problem
From: Nick Bastin (nbastin@rbbsystems.com)
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 22:09:30 EDT

I have the following directory tree set up that netatalk can access (on
a linux machine):

/home/software/

                |----mac/
                | |
                | |--UAR 1.2.2/

                |---linux/

/home/software is in /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default

Permissions in /home/software look like this:

drwxrws--- 5 root files 1024 May 22 19:29 linux
drwxrws--- 4 root files 1024 May 22 20:15 mac

root can write in these directories, but users in the group 'files'
cannot. What's up with that? Also, to take the story a bit deeper:

/home/software/mac looks something like this (much abbreviated listing):

-rwxrwx--- 1 nbastin files 42586163 May 12 13:54 DarwinOS-0.2.sit
drwxrws--- 1 nbastin files 1024 May 22 19:33 UAR 1.2.2

nbastin can copy all of these files and folder from the linux box to a
mac. Users in the group 'files' can not copy DarwinOS-0.2.sit (says I
don't have enough access privileges), but users in the group 'files'
*can* copy the *entire* UAR 1.2.2 directory (all of the files in it have
the same permissions as DarwinOS-0.2.sit). What's worth noting is that
if I use ftp, users in the group 'files' have no problem reading or
writing any of these files or directories. Also, if I make the
permissions 777, I still can't read the files. Any ideas?

--
Nick Bastin - RBB Systems, Inc.
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to