Re: [netatalk-admins] Why don't binary encoded prints work?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Why don't binary encoded prints work?
From: Patrik Schindler (poc@pocnet.net)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 18:53:27 EDT

At 16:05 Uhr -0400 24.05.1999, Tom Fitzgerald wrote:

>Are there any explanations on the net of why binary-encoded print jobs,
>fed to non-Mac print spoolers, consistently don't work?

I'm using netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.3 and I never had any problems printing binary encoded jobs from LaserWriter 8.5.1 (which I'm using here) to my QMS PS-410.

However, possibly the driver isn't using binary transfers at all, the printer information dialog shows a questionmark after "Binary" for the spooler, the printer directly shows "yes".

Unfortunately I've no knowledge about PPD files and how to tell the driver to force 8 Bit anyway...

:wq! PoC