Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth
From: John Barry (jbarry@eso.org)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 16:25:53 EDT

Hi,

> > From: John Barry <jbarry@eso.org>
> > To: netatalk-admins@umich.edu
>
> > I compile stuff for a living, everything is difficult to build the first time.
> > Hands up those that built perl without trouble the first time?
>
> I'll note this: the last "release" of netatalk I made was 1.4b2 -- a
> beta. It compiled pretty much cleanly and "out of the box" on all of
> the platforms it was listed to work on. I really don't think that's
> asking for more than a little discipline on the part of the
> developers.

Yup, he's right, compiled cleanly, installed without a hitch. Doesn't work
with appleshareIP.

Adrian's patches do, they required a little tweaking, both before and after
the fact, but I ran a lab of twenty macs from an aging sparc 2, and even got
them to spool to a lineprinter in the lab.

> And, ah, "show of hands"? Good thing the whole world isn't run by
> committee.

It is, we just didn't invite you :P

later
jb