Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth
From: William P. McGonigle (William.P.McGonigle@Hitchcock.ORG)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 12:12:44 EDT

--- tkaczma@gryf.net wrote:
Does one NEED tcp wrappers to run atalk on Solaris?
--- end of quote ---

You start getting into philosophical issues here.

Some people would say that you should make it as easy as possible to get up and
running with netatalk. This means no security.

Some would say that you shouldn't let users shoot themselves in the foot, even
if it means preventing them from getting work done.

Netatalk can get a bad wrap from being hard to use or as a potential security
risk. I think hard to use is the better choice, myself.

I'd distribute an RPM with crypt (should be legal now) and wrappers. That
assumes that someone smart enough to do a source build is smart enough to
consider the security ramifications; not necessarily true but probably a
reasonable approximation.

But I'm not doing the build.

-Bill