Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth
From: tkaczma@gryf.net
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 15:13:33 EDT

On 9 Jun 1999, William P. McGonigle wrote:

> --- tkaczma@gryf.net wrote:
> Does one NEED tcp wrappers to run atalk on Solaris?
> --- end of quote ---
>
> You start getting into philosophical issues here.
>
> Some people would say that you should make it as easy as possible to get up and
> running with netatalk. This means no security.

It's not philosophical at all netatalk is netatalk and not TCPwrappers.
The TCPwrappers people should worry about TCPwrapper problems. Expecting
netatalk people to worry about TCPwrapper problems is foolish. Besides,
when I install netatalk I just want to install netatalk not netatalk and
TCPwrappers. I can get my own, and possibly more recent version of
TCPwrappers. Modularity is good not evil. Besides, perhaps all of my
boxes are behind a firewall and I don't need the overhead of TCPwrappers
at all.

> Netatalk can get a bad wrap from being hard to use or as a potential security
> risk. I think hard to use is the better choice, myself.

I disagree, users hate to be patronized. If netatalk gets a bad rep for
being a security hole then it is rightfully so and that's why one should
use firewalling or TCPwrapping with it. I'd rather have netatalk get a
bad rep than a bad wrap. (pun intended)

Tom