[netatalk-admins] SAMBA + netatalk [funky character set interchanges]

Subject: [netatalk-admins] SAMBA + netatalk [funky character set interchanges]
From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber (spammail@quanta.paypc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 23:15:45 EDT

OKAY....

Using the latest release netatalk+asun (2.1.3 I think), Linux 2.0.36, and
Samba 2.0.4b.... I get strange mojo when using any of the Macintosh "high"
ASCII characters in file names.

   UNIX Name Macintosh Name SAMBA Name
--------------- -------------- ----------
MindExpander:aa MindExpanderª Minde~cn

What the hell? I have noted the existence of NLS codepages.... I have a very
simple afpd.conf setup line:

"Main Server" -nocleartxt -rand2num -noguest -setpassword

And AppleVolumes.default:

~
/Public "Public Access"
/projects "Projects"
/Applications "Applications"

My SAMBA config uses the following:
(removing the codepage directive has no effect)

character set = iso8859-1
client code page = 437

Sooo, since shutting down AFP continually to test new configurations via
hunt-and-peck methods is out of the question [way way too many users], does
anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure this is "old" terrain for the
Europeans out there.

Incidentally, once I have the correct config, I imagine converting the "bad"
filenames isn't something that can happen automatically, or am I wrong?

=Robert=