[netatalk-admins] bad aliases

Subject: [netatalk-admins] bad aliases
From: R Cent (cent@u.washington.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 20:57:24 EDT

Hi,

Is anyone experiencing problems with aliases of files/folders on
a RH5.2/Netatalk1.4b2+asun 2.1.3-2 server?

1) If I create an alias of a file on my Linux server from a 68k
Mac running OS7.6.1, TWO files are formed! One is the typical
alias file (type = alias) and the other is a generic file (type
= document). Both files have the same name and are the same
size. If I throw one into the trash, the other disappears too.

2) I have a folder in my users' home directories that is a
symbolic link to a directory elsewhere on the server. All is
well until my users make an alias of this folder.
Double-clicking on the alias of the symbolic link has
unpredictable results. It opens a directory, but never the
right one. This is a problem on with all OSes on all
architectures.

Bob Cent
University of Washington
Box 357330