Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk rpm installation

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk rpm installation
From: Konstantin Reznitsky (rkv@alpha1.gmslaw.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 10:42:45 EDT

After startup of the system and "atalk start":
1. Type "ps -x" make sure that you see atalkd, afpd, papd
2. Type "ifconfig" make sure that there is AppleTalk record on the network
interface you are using.
If not make sure that your interface(s) in the /etc/atalk/atalkd.conf are
configured correctly. The simplest case will be:
"eth0" alone on the line, you can also put phase, but no network numbers.
After restart of netatalk this line has to change to your existing network
settings. If it does - your atalkd is working.
3. Bring some macs up on the network and type "nbplkup" it has to show you
mac services on the network.
And a question: "I don't see anything in the choser" - no server, or no
shares on the server? If no server make sure you do not have another
computer on the net with the same name. If server is there but no shares
take a look at the /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default. You have to have at
least "~" in that file for the home directories.

One more thing to check out. Make sure that your macs are not locked in
the certain network number(range). It is possible to do, and if such a mac
comes up when the network address is already assigned by the server or
somebody else it will not see anything and you will begin getting error
messages from atalkd in the /var/log/messages.

Konstantin.