Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk works quite transparently:

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk works quite transparently:
From: Konstantin Reznitsky (rkv@alpha1.gmslaw.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 11:44:20 EDT

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> > From: Heinz Nabielek <h.nabielek@fz-juelich.de>
> > Date: 1999-07-05 01:44:23 -0700
> > To: linux-pmac@samba.anu.edu.au,
> > mklinux-setup@public.lists.apple.com,netatalk-admins@umich.edu

> > and /etc/atalk/atalkd.conf
> > eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 65280.5
> > whereby the last item fixes the Appletalk
> > network address on the linux box.
> >
> > But- how do I fix the Appletalk address
> > on the MacOS side?
> I'm not sure what you mean by "fix".

I think this is about forcing network address (zone, cable-range and node
address to be fixed and not discovered every time from the network. Here
65280.5 is the node address of the linux box. This address might change
after reboot. This may happen if you are not using -seed. You can't use
seed here (only one interface). On the mac side you can "fix" it in the
AppleTalk configuration in the advanced mode and lock it in the
administrator mode. But how to "fix" it on the linux side on the machine
with only one interface (where you can't use seed) is still a question.

Konstantin.