Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?
From: Clemens Anhuth (clemens.anhuth@snap.de)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 11:49:20 EDT

> Actually, the only solution I've seen to handle this _real_
> problem is
> the Helios solution: they built a PC client (PC Share) which is
> aware of
> the Mac resource forks and desktop database, by simply calling the
> Ethershare process to access every file. This way, everything is
> updated.

uhm, right, i didn't think of programs implementing their own file
management routines, meaning using the netatalk routines for
handling files in samba is not bullet-proof either then, eh?

(and if that would be bullet-proof, i am sure a hotfix or service
pack for windows 9x/nt would find a way to break things again.)

bummer. :-/

so...the really safe way is to have separate windows and mac shares,
offering an exchange volume perhaps that people would have to be
educated about being possibly problematic?