Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?
From: Vivek (vivek@etrade.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 10:48:13 EDT

> REPORT of a problem like this. (That doesn't mean it can't happen).
> Perhaps Netatalk rebuild fork information upon folder access?

It can and does exactly this - when a Mac accesses a file that doesn't
have a resource fork on a netatalk share, netatalk constructs a minimal
resource file based on its extension mapping in... uhm... AppleVolumes.system?
I can't remember the exact file, it's been a while since I've had to run
netatalk. This is fine for files with only a little metadata, but is
obviously going to break for files which store extra info in the resource
fork, as I understand some Mac things do.

--
You go insane if you go without sleep for too long.
And not in a good way, either.