[netatalk-admins] Access to netatalk storage from Unix

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Access to netatalk storage from Unix
From: Richard Abbot (rmabbot@zdnetmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 11:29:07 EDT

Hi,

I have begun running netatalk on a Caldera Linux box.
Although I am no expert, I think things are set up
correctly. I have a shared folder on Linux that my
Mac can login to, read, and write with no problems.

My question is, what is the proper way for me to write
files into that shared folder >from the Unix side< .
If I insert files into this area with "cp" , and
then try to access them from the Mac, I get an
unusual and amusing "rolling directory" effect on
the Mac.

Let's say I store a single file in the shared
folder with cp. If I open a Finder window for
the shared directory, the window will update
every few seconds, oscillating between "0 files"
and "1 file" found. If the folder contains only
files stored from the Mac side, the Finder
window is stable. My bet is that, in addition
to the cp, I need to update some of those hidden
administrative directories under the shared folder.
I don't have any information on that procedure.

I also noticed that, if I store a Unix symbolic link
into the shared folder, it does not show up on the
Mac side. It would be neat if I could do an "lndir"
on Linux and have a whole unix tree accessable on
the Mac, kind of a quick-and-dirty alternative to
doing NFS on the Mac.

Any advice on these issue will be much appreciated,
via email to rmabbot@zdnetmail.com.

Thanks!

Rich

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com