Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Security

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Security
From: Ron Chmara (ron@Opus1.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 12 1999 - 19:14:44 EDT

> vlb@deltagen.com
> OK. Logical. I can live with "cleartext" passwords. We're inside the
> firewall. Can this vary by user? If the user has a ~/.passwd file it's not
> clear going over the wire?

Not if you're using randnum.
Here's a simple explanation, which is not techncally accurate, but metaphorically
accurate:
Each machine (client, server) knows the password.
They both agree on a math problem, and use the characters in the password
to solve the problem. They exchange the solution to the math problem, not the
password.

> Or will I have to switch everyone to the
> ~/.passwd regime if any one (highly placed and VIP person complains?)

It is unrelated to /etc/password
Think of it as a password for a separate service.

-Bop