[netatalk-admins] More on OS 8.5, 8.6 problems with pre-asun-35 and coppied applications

Subject: [netatalk-admins] More on OS 8.5, 8.6 problems with pre-asun-35 and coppied applications
From: sam@shadow.org
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 18:09:24 EDT

        So on further examination, it appears that OS 8.5 and 8.6
support storing program/datafile associations on remote volumes.

        What appears to be happening is that a user will drag an
application to the remote volume, the file will copy, and then
something tries to create a datafile in (root)/.AppleDesktop/
and because the user does not have write permissions to that directory,
the copy fails.

        My next question then becomes: how can I turn this feature
off at the server level so that application associations just don't
get stored on the server? I don't want one user to be able to set
application preferences for others.

/* Sam */