Re: [netatalk-admins] OS 8.5+ and copying applications to shared filesystems

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] OS 8.5+ and copying applications to shared filesystems
From: sam@shadow.org
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 14:58:41 EDT

        This happens when I set the afpd server to both -noddp and
-notcp. The error occurs with SimpleText (about 120k) and Netscape
Communicator (about 10 Megs).

        We have some site-specific patches to enable root to do
root things on the server, and it appears that when the client has
root privledges, copying the application works flawlessly. On the
assumption that my patches were making bad things happen, I replaced
our afpd with the "stock" pre-asun afpd and noticed the same problems.
Another member of this list has also seen similar difficulties.

        Again, similar simptoms have been seen in both 8.5 and 8.6.
I'm also unsure whether or not a router is involved -- both machines
are on switched ports on the same subnet. It would seem to me that
the router would never get into the conversation at all, but I'm not
a network engineer.

/* Sam */