Re: [netatalk-admins] access privileges question

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] access privileges question
From: Thomas Riewe (thomas.riewe@zeitung-zum-sonntag.de)
Date: Sat Aug 21 1999 - 09:05:55 EDT

what we did in our net is to open the folders once, put the icons
positions views etc and then to close them and to get rid of write perms
on the firste level of the share ...

> With an AppleShare server, I can share a folder and set the owner of the
> folder to "Admin", the folder "keeps" the settings that the owner
> applies to the window (position, size, sort order, icon view)
>
> Under netatalk, whoever has read/write rights to a folder can change
> everything about the shared folder(directory).
>
> Is there any way to set UNIX privileges to emulate the AppleShare
> behavior?
>
> I've had lots of problems with the "network trash" issue, the only way I
> was able to get around the trash problem was to have all macs access the
> server as the same user

in order to get rid of those we got rid of write perms for temporary items
and network trash ... not nice but works

if you find MUCH better solutions, let me know,
thomas