Re: [netatalk-admins] thank you and more...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] thank you and more...
From: Wenchi Liao (wliao@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 15:06:58 EDT

"Tom Tilmant" wrote:
>Looking at the dmesg log, it shows that atalkd is being loaded, but afpd
>fails. My understanding is that afpd is for appleshare IP and would fail if
>atalkd is not loaded right.

not quite. afpd _is_ for appleshare ip, as well as
``regular'' appleshare. However, atalkd is not needed for
afpd to work. atalkd is the part that makes things visible
through the chooser, etc.

So if connecting to afpd via the chooser (atalkd), then
yes, atalkd is needed for afpd to work (as in appleshare
clients before os 8?). Otherwise, atalkd isn't needed (as
in os 8 and after).

Usually, I run into cases where atalkd fails, but afpd is
pretty much rock solid.

If you (Nicole or Tim) call afpd by hand, are there any
other error messages on the command line or in the logs?

WL