Re: [netatalk-admins] thank you and more...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] thank you and more...
From: Wenchi Liao (wliao@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 18:00:33 EDT

Nicole Lallande wrote:

>Now I am in the same position that Tom Tilmant is in - running on default
>configurations, installation went well, atalkd is running - but i can't
>tell if anybody's talkin' to anybody.... ping works from linux to my main
>apple but not to another one on the network (which is connected to the
>first mac through appletalk).
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

appletalk? as in localtalk cabling? If it is localtalk
cabling (aka phonenet), then I don't think ping is
possible. However, I think it should be visible through
nbplkup.

>I am concerned that my previous efforts to network using /etc/hosts file
>and ifconfig are interfering with netatalk. I see Tom has posted his
>question twice and has received no response - I imagine he feels a little
>like I do -- Santeria is looking pretty good -- anybody got a spare chicken
>for sacrifice?

Well, I guess if the machine can see other ip-connected
machines on the network with ping, the networking is fine.

It doesn't seem like there is a particular problem. Can you
do stuff? Like go through chooser on the macs and access
the server?

WL