Re: [netatalk-admins] Problem with passwd case

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Problem with passwd case
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 21:04:24 EDT

Quoting Craig Robinson (craig@qimr.edu.au) from Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 09:19:08AM +1000:
> Hi all Netatalkers,
> I am successfully running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on a UltraSPARC 10
> (running 64-bit Solaris 7). I do have one problem, however, in that I can
> only log-on through Chooser if my username is all lower-case (ie. no
> capitals). If I have a user with even one capital in their uname, Chooser
> says that my "My password is incorrect".

Hrm, "uname" doesn't mean what you think it does. I'll assume you're
using the unix usernames and not the feature that lets you use the
GECOS field's names, although netatalk should do the Right Thing in
either case.

Yes, Unix likes lowercase usernames. Can they login directly? (In other
words, verify that it's a Netatalk problem and not a problem with your
OS's authentication libraries, if you're using them. It wouldn't be
the first unusual usrename restriction I've seen.)

Is it the case that the user's username is 'foo' but they're logging
in over netatalk as 'Foo', or is it 'Foo' in both cases?

Are you using cleartext passwords or randnum challenges?

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services